Monday 1 April 2013

Back on Track - Almost

although not on the track (not just yet), but on the roads and on the treadmill, also on the gym floor and generally on the floor!  I have continued with some physio over the last couple of weeks and 'touch wood' I seem to be doing well at the moment.  I am now back running.  I have been out with PWR the last couple of Tuesday nights and I have also been doing some speed work on the treadmill at my gym.

Hakuna Tabata

I recently read an article on-line in the Guardian about Tabata Training which I found quite interesting

Guardian Article

So I thought I would give it a go one morning at the gym.  Two things I learnt a) it is bloody hard and b) don't try it on a empty stomach!  The Tabata technique is to run all out for 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds rest and repeat 8 times.  After a 10 min warm up, I set the the treadmill at 18kmh which is certainly 'all-out' for me.  I managed 6 repeats before I had to admit defeat, feeling a bit light-headed.  I am blaming the lack of fuel :-)

Stretch, Breathe & Collapse

To supplement my strengthening and stretching exercises that I have been prescribed by my physio I have started doing Yoga (again).  I dabbled with Yoga a bit whilst I was taking part in Project 26.2.  I am not sure how I forgot how difficult it was.  When it comes to flexibility I think an RSJ has more flex than me (By the way in case you are not sure, an RSJ is a re-enforced steel joist). I arrived outside the studio at the gym 5 mins before the session was due to start and there was me and about a dozen women.  I was saved from being the only thorn among the roses, when two other fellas turned up as well.

After 10 minutes I was struggling and had a sweat on and then the instructor announced that was the warm up!  My limit at the moment is the 'downward dog' and even then I can't do that properly and not for long. Some of the positions are nigh on impossible and I spent half the session chuckling to myself as I knew it was quite plainly impossible for me to strike the pose being demonstrated.

In fact, when it comes to me and the instructor has to spend half the session trying to correct my form I think YOGA stands for "You're Obviously Getting Annoyed"  I will persevere though as I really want to do all I can to prevent further injuries.

I don't think anybody saw?

On Saturday, I ran the Bromley Parkrun, which happens to be my first Parkrun for seven weeks. I didn't do too badly and got round in 23:24.

Bromley Parkrun

I was involved in a sprint finish with another chap, the finish is on a slight incline and in a nutshell, I lost my footing and face planted.  Luckily the only damage was a bruised ego and muddy knees and hands.  Oh, and the sub-title is a complete lie, at least 50 people saw me!

I have definitely over indulged on Easter treats this weekend, so need to get back on the straight and narrow as it is now only 9 weeks until my Marathon.

Until next time
TJH

No comments:

Post a Comment