Wednesday 18 July 2012

Running in the Family

The last 10 days or so has seen me begin to up my mileage, in fact I have run a couple of 10ish milers, the longest I have run since the London Marathon.

Two Sundays ago I went out with a group from Petts Wood Runners, it was a very wet affair (no surprise there) but also very muddy as a large proportion was off road. This reminded me of two things. Firstly, I need to run off-road more often. It is quite refreshing to be amongst greenery rather than pounding the pavements. Secondly, I need to invest in some dedicated trail shoes. The the last mile or so was a bit of a struggle, but the run was exactly what I needed!
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/196877932
I cycled to and from work a couple of days last week, a round trip of 20 miles each day, and this is something I will be doing every day in the near future to avoid the expected commuting carnage due to the Olympics.

Saturday just gone I did another 10 miler before a trip to the Zoo. This time I had a running guide in the form of a fella I know via one of my wife's friends. He is not a complete stranger we have had quite a few beers together over the years, but during our run it transpires that Matt, used to compete at a National level and his 10k PB is over 10 mins quicker than mine! Nevertheless I managed 10 miles averaging an 08:35 m/mile which was a nice workout for me, but probably a walk in the park for Matt?
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/199103327

Incidentally we didn't get wet during the run, although we did later at the Zoo, but that meant puddles for our kiddies, so they were more than happy to extensively test their wellies.

You are probably wondering what any of this has to do with the title of the blog? Well I am proud to say that my wife has taken the decision to start running! Petts Wood Runners host 8 week beginners running courses aiming to get novices completing a 5k Parkrun. So Mich, my wife started her course this week.

It seems that she really enjoyed the session, and I will be helping her with her 'homework' of a jogging and walking session.  Who knows, this could lead to domestics in the future when we debate who is running a 10k and who will be looking after our little boy.  Although to be honest, I wuld be more than happy to be cheering her on in a race as she has done plenty of waiting around for me in the past!

TJH

No comments:

Post a Comment