Tuesday 20 November 2012

Valencia Part 1 - The Marathon

As you may have gathered, I quite enjoy my blogging now. A way of keeping an online diary and documenting my thoughts, opinions and experiences.  A single Valencia Marathon blog would be pretty lengthy so I have split it into three parts or a trilogy if you will so you can choose what you want to read

Part One - Valencia: The Marathon
Part Two - Valencia: The journey to sub4
Part Three - Valencia: The weekend away

VALENCIA - THE MARATHON

Let's cut to the chase. If you are friends with me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter you will know that I achieved a sub four hour Marathon. Yes Ladies and Gentlemen, you read that right, the Jogging Hippo ran a sub-4 Marathon! I ran it in 03:58:47, so not much below 4 hours, but I honestly couldn't care less :-) It is a definite case of mission accomplished.

I had set my alarm for 7am Sunday morning, but awoke around 6am and couldn't sleep.  Weather reports all week had forecast rain and Saturday night there had been thunder storms, but a glance out of the window and a check on the Internet suggested it may now just be overcast.  Which was fortunate as I hadn't packed one the marathon runner's essential piece of attire, the 'black bin liner'

My other faux-pas (not sure what the Spanish equivalent is) was that I had not packed any safety-pins.  I assumed that they would be with my number and didn't really check properly until I got back to my hotel room on the Friday evening.  With an abundance of pharmacy's in Valencia.  I didn't envisage too much trouble obtaining these.  However, my first attempt showed this wasn't going to be the case.  My miming of running a marathon and pinning a number was obviously not up to scratch as I was offered nasal strips and plasters.  I resulted on drawing a picture.  The lady behind the counter immediately knew what I was talking about but then said 'No' they don't sell them.  I then text Ian (a fella I see from time to time at Millwall, more about him later) asking what the Spanish was for safety pins.  His girlfriend is Spanish.  Whilst waiting for a response, we found a poundshop, although I suppose in Spain it is a Euroshop and just as I found my quarry, I received a text with the same word.  So Spanish lesson time, if you need safety pins, you need to ask for 'Imperdibles'

Once I eaten my breakfast (bananas and cereal bars) and sorted myself out (getting dressed, plasters & Vaseline, if you know what I mean) I left my hotel at five past eight and was actually in the orange pen at the start by 08:35.  This is where my initial plan went out the window somewhat.  I had found out by chance that Ian was also running the Valencia Marathon, he had run the Berlin, his first Marathon in 03:57, git ;-).  So we suggested trying to meet up amongst the 7000 other runners by making a beeline for the 4 hour pacer.  It seems that the orange pen was for International runners, as when the person on the PA started announcing all the different countries taking part, it seemed all the cheers came from the Orange pen.  Incidentally it was announced that there was only 45 runners over from the UK.

With the orange pen seemingly the international pen this meant that the 4 hour pacer was in the Blue pen with about 1000 people between us!  However, due to my now traditional "you look daft" (my wife's words) Union Jack bandanna, Ian managed to locate me.

We had a chat and Ian said he was aiming to beat his 03:57.  I said I was just aiming to beat 4 hours.  At 9am there were fireworks which we thought indicated the start of the race.  5 minutes later we still had not moved.  I thought maybe it was a staggered start, but then we were asked to all move back.  This is the first time in an event that I have actually had to go backwards?  I actually started my watch as I crossed the start line at 09:09.  I knew Mich would be waiting for me at the 10k mark.  Ian and I ran together chatting away and Ian said I was probably keeping him is check, as I was conscious not to go off too fast (bitter memories from the London Marathon).

I said to Ian before we got to the 10k mark, that Mich might be concerned that I was behind schedule as I told her the approximate time I should be there.  I saw Mich and Max and managed to high-five Max as I ran past and after passing I heard Mich shout "You had better get a move on"  I laughed as I said to Ian "There you go, my official time keeper thinks I am behind schedule already"  I then said to Ian, "Listen mate, I don't want to ruin your schedule, if you want to push on, go for it" so we wished each other good luck and he kicked on.

The weather was not as expected and it was showing 19/20 degrees.  Water stations were every 5k, so I was taking a gel just before each water station and then making sure I had a few swigs of water shortly afterwards.

The support was top draw with lots of bands and music along the whole course and one point there was a group of locals about 20 of them all dressed as Sponge Bob Square Pants and at another point there was about 40 odd people dressed as cows?  I am not sure why, but they were very vocal and it brought a smile to my face.

One thing I did notice is that quite a few of the local runners had people cycling along side them handing them their gels and water.  This got me thinking that maybe I should get Mich to cycle along with Max sitting in a trailer handing me my gels and water.  I might run this past her, although I expect a two word answer with the second word being 'off'

At 16 miles I did my first mental check.  This is because it was at 16 miles in the London Marathon that I started to think that something wasn't quite right.  I knew I was running at a sensible and within target pace and I felt quite good.  At 18 miles there is a stretch of about a mile that goes through an underpass.  There were speakers that were blasting out music that any nightclub in Ibiza would be proud off.  The one tune that was playing as I entered the underpass was the bongo song, if you don't know what one I mean, click below for a listen.

Top Tune!

You could see this euphoric music brought a smile to everybody's face.  I even felt like putting on some white gloves, start raving and get the whistle posse going!  The downside to this was that satellites and tunnels don't really work well together, so average mile pacing went a little bit out of the window for a mile or two.

At 20 miles, I was feeling a bit tired but OK  but I didn't want to get too confident as I know 'The Wall' can be hit at any time. Now was the time to start the mind over matter battle.  I told myself that all I had now was a 10k run, something which I have probably done over 100 times.

At 23 miles I started to feel it a bit, but now I told myself I just have over 5k to do which is the Parkrun distance and despite slowing my aim was to keep under a 09:30 min mile which I was sure would still get me my sub4

In the last 10 miles I also saw Mich and Max twice more which I wasn't expecting and that was also a nice psychological boost.

Despite my pace slowing, during the last 3 or 4 miles, I was passing quite a few people.  In the past and paticularly during shorter races, I have taken pride in passing and beating others (my competitive nature) but I took no pride seeing people struggling and suffering in the last few miles as I had been in that position myself just over 6 months previously.

With 1k to go, going by watch I was pretty sure, barring a disaster I would achieve my goal.  The final couple of hundred metres is on like a jetty/pier construction with water either side which definitely makes for a unique experience.

I saw the clock was showing 04:01 which I was a bit confused about as I was expecting it to show something in the region of 04:08 or 04:09 as I hadn't crossed the start line until 09:09.  As I crossed the finish line with arms aloft I stopped my watch on 03:58:49 and I was so happy and relieved that I had broken 4 hours.

A smile cleverly disguised as a grimace

I then instantly felt absolutely and completely exhausted.  As I walked down the finishing funnel and collected my medal along with a whole load more goodies (whole bag of oranges, a gym towel, various drinks & pastries) doubts started creeping in.  Why wasn't the clock showing 04:08/9.  Did losing reception on my Garmin bugger up my timing?  But I was sure I had kept under a 09:09 min mile average and my watch time of 03:58:49 surely had to be right?

After 10 mins or so I found Mich and Max waiting for me.  Hugs and kisses plus me saying "I think, I am pretty sure I have done it"

There was then the debacle of getting out of my sweaty running gear and putting fresh clothes on in the public with Mich holding aforementioned gym towel trying to protect my modesty.

We then took a slow walk (after all I had just run a Marathon) back to the hotel, so slow in fact that Max actually fell asleep in his buggy which meant an opportunity to find a bar and sit outside supping a few cervezas.

It wasn't until later that evening after having a meal and some rijoca that I got official confirmation that I had indeed achieved a sub4.

Chip time aka 'Tiempo Real' is all that matters. 

Note above how I came 1st for Petts Wood Runners.  Pretty impressive when we have approx 250 members.  I won't let the minor detail that I was the only PWR running get in the way of my glory :-)

My garmin stats are below
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/245159408

Incidentally, Ian got a new PB of 03:53:56.  Well done mate!

TJH



1 comment:

  1. I got a bit choked reading that. I'm so pleased that you got your sub 4! Really well deserved. Well done chap.

    ReplyDelete