Sunday 25 November 2012

SWAT the DOMS

Just a brief blog. One week ago today I ran the Valencia Marathon and for those that run long distances you know there is a good chance that a day or two later you will be walking like a robot as DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) says hello.

Well, I think I have made a scientific breakthrough as I have not suffered any DOMS unlike the London Marathon where a couple of days after the run, stairs were my nemisis.

After the Marathon on Sunday, once I collected my medal, I had a little stretch and then had to walk quite a bit first to find Mich & Max and then to get back to the hotel. This was temporarily interupted for a sit down and a few beers. The after having a shower and relaxing for an hour or so, I donned compression tights and then went for another walk for about an hour before having Paella for dinner with a glass of rijoca. The next day I was walking most of the day as we walked round the city before flying home late evening. The rest of the week, I have had very mild aching legs and no real pain at all.

So my conclusion and 6 step guide for preventing DOMS is:

1) Stretch gently and walk for 30-45 mins straight after the run
2) Have a couple of beers
3) Wear compression tights and walk for another hour
4) Have a good meal plus glass or two of red wine
5) Sleep in compression tights
6) Walk for at least a couple of hours the next day

or to help, just remember S.W.A.T (Stretch, Walk, Alochol, Tights) Until next time TJH

No comments:

Post a Comment