Monday 3 December 2012

Back running and focussing on hydration

Last week, after having 8 days rest I went out for a run Tuesday evening with PWR.  I joined group 4 and offered to be sweeper, that gave me the perfect excuse to be at the back :-)  We did 6.25 miles at a 09:40m/mile pace and despite feeling a bit leggy in the first couple of miles, I had a good chin wag with a couple of the others so the run went quite quickly.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/249068562

Saturday morning I was back running a Parkrun, in fact looking at my Parkrun stats page, I didn't manage to run a single Parkrun in November.  This Saturday, I had my maiden run at Hilly Fields which is in Ladywell/Lewisham.  The race is only just over 3 months old and was set up by a PWR member

The name of the park gives a bit of a clue to the terrain and as I tweeted on Saturday morning, it should have been called (C)hilly fields as when I left home at 08:30am the temperature gauge was showing -2.  Conditions underfoot were a mixture of frosty grass and tarmac and in some places quite muddy due to the recent rain.  I managed a respectable time of 24:11.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/249068571

It was then time to due an intensive aerobic workout, chasing Max around soft-play for an hour before going to watch football and then back home to get ready for the Petts Wood Runners Christmas Bash.

A very good evening was had by all and I made the following observations...

- There was plenty of carbo-loading at the buffet.
- Everybody was very well hydrated and I am sure if a company made a Merlot or Guinness flavour gel, it would be a top seller!
- Some people didn't pace themselves and didn't last the duration
- Running ability does not translate to dancing ability
- There was no warming up from anybody before going into full-flow dance routines
- Apparently, one person obviously used to getting goody bags at events, made her own and woke on Sunday morning to find 2 large pieces of cheese in her handbag! (I am told it was Red Leicester & Cheddar)

I mainly concentrated on hydration (as did my wife) for the evening, but had to organise a synchronised dance routine when I saw that people were actually doing the Macarena to Whigfield's 'Saturday Night'

Questions have been asked of me how and why I actually know the dance routine!  Questions that I can't really answer.

Sunday mornings normally mean either a long run or a long sleep.  A long run was out of the question due to me over hydrating the night before and the long sleep was out of the question when Max thought 6am was a good time to wake Daddy to play 'Monster Bingo' (a game he recently received for his birthday)!

TJH



No comments:

Post a Comment