Monday 17 December 2012

Reflections

As seems to be traditional at this time of year and on the back of SPOTY I thought I would do a review of my year. I must admit, I was a bit disappointed not to make the shortlist. Oh well, there is always next year. I think Bradley Wiggins was a deserved winner. Great sporting achievements and he has actually got a personality unlike some former winners.

So to my own review of 2012

This year of running all stemmed from me watching my mates Fat Pants & CJ running the London Marathon in 2011 and deciding there and then I wanted to run the London Marathon in 2012. Then I was lucky enough to be selected for the Men's Running magazine Project 26.2 which helped officially turn me into a 'Runner'.

Time for a Stat Attack. Official events that I have taken part in this year are;

Marathon x 2
20 Miler x 1
16 Miler x 2
Half Marathon x 8
10 Miler x 3
10k x 3
Parkrun (5k) x 28

I wear my Garmin for 99% of my runs and according to my GarminConnect account I have logged the following miles this year



The other thing that is recorded is PB's over certain distances and I have to say I am loving the following picture :-)


My next Marathon, I will make sure I take the racing line, to try and save myself a bit of distance!

For 2013 I want to be chipping some time of the Marathon & 5k. Not sure I will be getting close to the 10k & Half Marathon? I will have to wait and see.

So as well as the events, miles and PB's. I now don't just run, but I do interval sessions, hill sessions, threshold runs, I have started running a Cross Country event or two and I now actually stretch regularly!  Having joined Petts Wood Runners, I have been part of a race committee and help organise an event which made me appreciate the effort that is put in by running clubs when hosting an event.
 
I also raised over 5k for the Multiple Sclerosis Trust.

This year has not just been about me though. Mich my wife and been an absolute star either looking after Max (our boy) whilst I have been out on my long Sunday runs or coming to events and waiting for me (with Max obviously) at the finish.

What for me is a bonus is that Mich (begrudgingly at first) has taken up running. She has completed half a dozen Parkruns and is now a member of PWR also. Mich already knows that I am earmarking a 10k for her to do next year. Max also completed his first official race and he was beaming from ear to ear (as was I) when he had a number on his t-shirt (just like Daddy) and then he got his own medal as well.
 
I am very proud of both of them!
 
Max & Mich have also turned into Parkrun tourists.  Mich has now ran 5 different Parkruns and Max has now completed Parkruns at 6 different venues in the running buggy.
 
Me & Max at Dulwich Parkrun last Saturday
 
Running now seems to be a big part of all of our lives which can only be a good thing!
 
As was highlighted in the SPOTY, it has been a fantastic year for British Sport and Mich, Max & I were privileged to see 3 Golds being won by the Paralympic team at the Olympic Stadium as well as seeing the Young Sport Personality of the year Josef Craig earlier in the day win his heat in a world record time (before winning Gold and breaking his new world record again)  Even now, Max still talks about the 'Caralympics'
 
Here is to a cracking 2013.
 
Merry Christmas
 
TJH



No comments:

Post a Comment