Friday 11 January 2013

It's good to share

As I mentioned in my last blog, I knew I had tweaked my left calf muscle during the first mile of the Knacker Cracker on New Year's Day.  When I woke the next day I had the dreaded DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and I suffered these for the next 2 or 3 days, in fact worse than I experienced after the London Marathon last year.  Just goes to show how tough the Knacker Cracker 10k is!

But in addition to the DOMS, my calf just didn't feel right so I took the sensible option of complete rest for a week even though this meant me missing the first run of the year with my club Petts Wood Runners and missing a Thursday night track session (also with PWR).

So it was Wednesday this week when the sharing began.

Firstly at lunchtime, I went for a gentle 3.5 mile run at lunchtime.  This run had a duel purpose.  One to test the calf and two to partner and provide guidance to a mate from work who this year is running the London Marathon.  His first marathon!  The run was a success from both perspectives.

Wednesday evening saw me travelling to The Guardian newspaper offices in Kings Cross as I had the privilege of being asked by the Multiple Sclerosis Trust to present (as a former London Marathon runner for the charity) at their London Marathon reception evening for all the runners that will be raising money for the MS Trust this year.

I think the presentation went down well, people laughed in the right places and I saw people taking notes.  Although they might have just been writing a message to the person next to them asking 'who is this clown'  Either way, it was nice to pass on information and guidance based on my experiences.

Who would have thought 18 months ago that a 17st+ beer swilling bloke by the name of 'The Hippo' would be passing on Marathon running advice a year and half later?

Today, I introduced Jamie (my mate from work) to a HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) session.  So we ran along Regent's Canal to Victoria Park and then did some speed work before a slow jog back.

Again, no issues with the calf muscle, so full training resumes next week.

Where possible I like to have a picture or two in my blogs.  As you would have saw from my last blog, I was wearing orange attire in my last race.  In fact I even got a mention in one of the Runner's World runner reviews!  Anyway I will leave you with a few action shots.  Enjoy! or maybe feel sick ;-)

Until next time
TJH

Pre race Fancy Dress parade

Slogging it up the first hill

What goes up, must come down

Final charge to the finish!




No comments:

Post a Comment