Saturday 8 September 2012

32nd, 5th & 1st

You may think that the numbers in the title are finishing positions? Not so. These are the number of parkruns that I, my 2yo son Max (albeit being pushed in the running buggy) and my wife Mich(elle) have completed!

So this blog is primarily about Mich. I mentioned to her a few months back that Petts Wood Runners were hosting an 8 week beginners running course and begrudgingly (I think) Mich said she would give it a go.

So over the last 8 weeks she has turned up every Tuesday night and slowly began to increase the time running interspersed with recovery breaks. At this point, I would like to commend Mike & Liz of PWR for taking the course, Mich has told me she has enjoyed it and that is a massive compliment as Mich didn't really 'do running'.

I must admit that I have been surprised & impressed at Mich's commitment to doing the prescribed training between sessions. She missed only one additional training session and that was because we were at the Paralympics. Max has particularly benefited from this as this meant he would either get to ride on the bike with me, or we would have a kick-a-bout and play on the swings whilst Mummy jogged round the park.

So this all culminated in Mich completing her 1st parkrun today, 5k without stopping in 36:19 and I am very proud of her!

Mich on the right accompanied by Jo (a PWR member)

Mich has spent the last 4 years either looking after Max or following me round the country whilst I trained for my Lands End to John O'Groats ride in 2010 and the London Marathon in 2012. I hope that I can repay that loyalty and maybe at some point in the near future it will be Max and I waiting by the finish and cheering as Mummy is completing a 10k?

So is there a downside to this?

Firstly, Mich had said she is now going to join PWR, so that now means taking turns on who goes running on a Tuesday night.

Secondly, I will need to keep an eye on my running gear. In the past 8 weeks Mich has already borrowed some socks, a t-shirt, a cap and has even been using my Garmin! Luckily we don't have the same size feet :-)

TJH

2 comments:

  1. Lovely blog and well done again to Mich, always a willing and dedicated pupil on a Tuesday night.
    Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz. Mich has won the first debate as she is running on Tuesday night and I am not :-)

    ReplyDelete