Friday 7 September 2012

Pure Gold!

Yesterday I took a day off work to go to the Paralympics with my wife and little boy. It was one of the best days out I have ever had. It was an absolute gem of a day.

Getting to Stratford via bus and DLR was a breeze as was getting into the Olympic Park and through security. The Gamesmakers lived up to their name and certainly made the games. Every single one we encountered and I do mean every single one had a smile on their face and couldn't be more helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if my boy woke up today with an aching hand, I am sure he got a world record yesterday for 'high-fives'

We had tickets for the morning session at the impressive Aquatics centre and had the privilege of seeing 4 new world records including one from Team GB's 15yo Josef Craig (which he later broke in the evening to earn Gold). I can only retype what I put in a tweet during the morning and that is the athletes were bloody incredible and I was in total awe of them!



We then had tickets for the Orbit, the crazy rollercoaster looking structure by Anoushka Kapur. Amazing views over the stadium, the Olympic Park and London. I expect a viewing on a clear night would be even more spectacular!



We then found some grass to sit on to have our lunch and sit in the balmy sunshine. We then had a wander round the Olympic Park followed by meeting up with friends and having a few beers in the afternoon

At 6pm we made our way to the Stadium and was seated by 6:30 for a 7pm start.

Bonus 1 was that we were in row 4, bonus 2 was that I had managed to pick the night when we would see David Weir and Jonnie Peacock amongst others.



As you know the WeirWolf and Peacock did not disappoint and the crescendo of noise for all the GB athletes medal winners or not was spine tingling.

The journey home was easy as well! And special mention must go to the bloke on the tannoy at Stratford DLR who was very funny and had everybody laughing with his commentary and adding a real feel good factor.

I must admit when London won the Olympic bid, I wasn't that excited and a bit cynical that it would just increase my taxes and we would probably balls it up. I couldn't have been more wrong (except about my taxes :-)

Watching the Olympics at work and at home was great, being part of and actually experiencing the Paralympics was an absolutely amazing experience and a privilege. I am so glad that my little boy was able to share that experience with Mummy and Daddy

As we were leaving the stadium, Max was in his buggy and bless him, he said "Mummy can I go to sleep now?" The poor mite had had a very very long day but didn't have the opportunity (despite encouragement from us) to have a nap because he was having such a wonderful time and didn't want to miss a thing!

Proud to be a Londoner, proud to be British!

TJH

No comments:

Post a Comment