Sunday 30 September 2012

PB?

If you are a chemist, PB probably means lead to you. If you are in IT you might think Packard Bell or (Apple) PowerBook and obviously if you are into running, PB stands for Personal Best. For me today PB stands for PROUD BLOKE. Today my little boy ran his first ever race. He turns three in November and to be honest he doesn't stop running and bouncing around, so PB could stand for Pneumatic Boy.

I was taking part in The Big 10k event in Bexhill and what is really nice about this event is that they stage three fun runs of 500 metres, 1k & 2k before the main race. So this means there is a lot more opportunity for younger kids to take part.

Max entered or should I say 'was entered' into the 500m. Max was so excited before hand, when he had his own number and as you will see below he made sure he was warmed up and went through a stretching routine



We lined up and lined up with about 25 other kids. Max was the youngest at age 2 and the eldest was age 8. After a countdown of 5-4-3-2-1 we were off. I think the comotion got to him a little bit to start off with and he wasn't sure, but after about 50m or so he got into his stride and then was laughing and smiling all the way. It was a really special moment for me running with him and he ran the whole way without stopping. As you can see, he was focussed on running and had no time to wave for the camera!



As we crossed the line, the tannoy man commented "and here comes Max" "and I have here he is only two" I don't think he believed that Max was two? Being the geek that I am, I had to start my Garmin for his run :-) We completed the course in 3:33 and his average pace was a very respectable 11:54m/mile

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/228556192

Max was not only rewarded with a medal but also a couple of Mr Men jelly sweets.




When I asked Max if he would like some water, between his deep breathes he said 'Yes Please' and then he got a massive hug from proud mummy as well.

Once the other two fun runs were complete, it was my turn to line up and Max said he wanted to run with me, so I had to tell him it was a bit far. Just for the record, I managed a new 10k PB of 45:27 knocking 2:21 off my previous best (ooh look there is another thing that PB could stand for)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/228556210

But this weekend was all about my boy and in case you haven't realised I am a really PROUD BLOKE :-) Here is a final photo of me and my boy with our medals from today.



P.S. Max got the same medal as me and I had to run 20 times further!

Until next time
TJH

No comments:

Post a Comment